April 2014 Monthly Meeting Summary
ExtWebDriver - new open source Webdriver extension - presentation by
Daniel Koo, Bryan Robbins, Latha Nagaraj - FINRA.
ExtWebDriver is an open source project
at FINRA to extend the WebDriver API; it enables efficient UI
automation using the widget implementation approach and includes an HTML widget library, improved session management
and many more features. Also there will be a demo of 2 upcoming open source projects - a test automation framework
Cloud, and Big Data testing. Bryan Robbins is a Software Developer in Test whose expertise includes
both functional test automation and load/performance test automation. Latha Nagaraj is a Sr. Software Developer
in Test whose areas of interest include software architecture, development, and QA.
Meeting took place on: Wed. April 23 2014 6:30 PM
- ExtWebDriver is a java-based extension to WebDriver
- The project was started in late 2012 and initially released Dec 2013
- Initially in their web UI testing the page object model was used, where each page is a class. But when there
are many pages with similar components an alternative approach is to have a widget library of
common controls used in pages, and use these shared widgets in building test automation.
- Eventually widgets were developed for most common HTML components.
- In the works are widget libraries for jquery and GWT
- Travis CI was used for builds since it's geared to Github
- Included are methods for taking .png screen shots of page elements,
comparing to a baseline, and calculating a 'difference' value. Reportedly it works well comparing
page versions for a particular browser but not as reliably across different browsers.
- Also included are methods for highlighting elements within a page when needed to assist with debugging, etc.
- Also in the works is a Mock-WebServer project to mock API responses and enable separate API and UI testing
and avoid the need to deploy large, complex test environments.
- ExtWebDriver project on GitHub: https://github.com/FINRAOS/JTAF-ExtWebDriver
- Presentation powerpoint slide file: novataig_2014_04_ExtWebDriver_Presentation_v3.pptx (0.9 MB).
NoVaTAIG Home Page
Copyright 2014 Northern Virginia Test Automation Interest Group
Test Automation Interest Group