October 2013 Monthly Meeting Summary
Private Clouds For Test Automation - Presentation by Gopal Addada, Cigital Inc
Cigital is in the process setting up a private cloud for its test automation; Cigital's experiences with the following were shared:
- Setting up vSphere Cloud
- Using VMWare APIs to manage the guest VMs
- Automated provision of end-end test environments
- Running Test Automation
- Reporting results to a Test Management System
Took place on: Wed. October 16 2013 6:30 PM
- The presentation started off with a description of the complex automation environment challenge - testing one of the company's security
testing tools - 'Cigital SecureAssist', an IDE plug-in static code analysis tool that automatically detects risky code; issues are itemized
within the IDE and linked to the line of code where problems appear.
- It is supported on multiple Eclipse versions, Visual Studio versions, operating systems/versions, and databases/versions
- Additional factors include testing of variations on the tool's license management, and testing with different/configurable security
analysis rule sets; and interest from stakeholders in test automaion results reporting/metrics including parsing by project, developer, etc.
- Requires hundreds of virtual test environments
- Tools used included SWTBot, Selenium/Webdriver, JMeter, VMWare, Nose, TestRail, VSphere, VIJava, PySphere
- Other tools discussed included Puppet and Vagrant
A link to a pdf file of the presentation is provided here (1.8 MB file size).
NoVaTAIG Home Page